Monday, November 16, 2015

A Lesson on Holiness in the Fast Food Drive-Thru

"Be ye holy; for I am holy."  1 Peter 1:16

I was sitting in the drive-thru at McDonald's.  It was one of those fancy new drive-thrus that has two separate ordering lanes to choose from.  I pulled in on the right and placed my order.  The car to my left finished and pulled ahead.  As I finished my order, I began to pull forward assuming that it was my turn to go.  Just as I started to inch forward, the next truck on the left started to push his way into the line ahead of me.  I paused and wondered out loud, "Hey, I thought the lines were supposed to take turns... what is he doing trying to get in front of me?"  As I continued to pull ahead, two little voices from the back seat proclaimed with excited anticipation, "Mommy!  Let's pay for the car behind us!"

What?  That car behind us?  The one that was trying to push me out of line and get in front of me? You want me to pay for that car?

At that moment, I had a choice to make as I pulled up to the payment window.  The innocence and compassion from my 8 and 11 year old touched my heart.  They were right.  

The Bible says, "Be ye holy; for I am holy."  To be holy means to be set apart.  Later that evening, I continued to think about that.  If I want to be holy as He is holy, my responses should be different than those of the world.  

I am so thankful that when Jesus was hanging on the cross as an innocent man, being mocked and beaten, that He didn't choose to say, "Forget them.  I'm not doing anything special for those people who have treated me so terribly."

Instead, he chose to say, "Father, forgive them.  For they know not what they do." (Luke 23:34)

That is the holiness of God.  He didn't respond as the world would respond.  Instead, he responded with grace.  As I think about this, I realize that I have a question to ask myself in the face of injustice:

Should I respond with holiness or should I respond as the world would respond?

Father, I ask today that you would grant me holiness in every situation that presents itself. Help me to put aside my own feelings of injustice and bitterness and respond as You would respond. In your Name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. All comments are moderated and will be posted as soon as possible.